Sunday, April 3, 2011

Arizona!

"I live in the dry dusty desert
Where we're always short on water
And even if the sun fell upon us
It couldn't get any hotter.
~Linda Solegato"


I have become obsessed with Saguaro cactus. I had never seen one until I arrived in Arizona. There's something about their methods for surviving, and the fact that they can live to be twice as old as I'll ever even hope to live.

Saguaros have root systems close to the surface, so while they are so tall, the support system isn't as sturdy as other plants their size. To counterbalance this, saguaros grow their arms to help the plant be more balanced and stable. Saguaros swell when it rains, increasing their weight by nearly a ton. They have flowers, but they only bloom at night. The Saguaro is also a house for certain bird species (you can see the holes in the trunk from these).



Sunset at South Mountain

Click here for more Saguaro Facts

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
Hi! I am Elizabeth Ratledge, a photography student at Randolph Community College in Asheboro, NC.

Followers